About Me

My photo
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
Remembering that today is a brand new day. Another opportunity to make things better, do better and be better.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Selena J - Your Thoughts Determine How You Feel

Selena J: Selena J's blog postings.



I had a moment. The other day I was feeling a little down (for various reasons) and I found myself in a mental space that was completely counterproductive. I stayed there and lingered in doubt and disappointment for about 5 minutes. Then all of the sudden I asked myself, what are you doing? Why are you feeling this way? Why are you thinking this way? Then I told myself the same thing I tell others all the time. You only feel a certain way because you are thinking a certain way. If you change how you are thinking then you will change how you are feeling. So I did! Just like that I began to turn my negative and depressing thoughts into powerful and positive statements of affirmation and within minutes I began to feel better. I admit, sometimes I forget who I am. Sometimes I forget the power that I have over my life and my circumstances. But that “moment” was a good reminder for all of us that how you feel is a result of how you think. It’s all connected. If you feel depressed or angry, chances are, you are thinking depressing and angry thoughts. So how do you change that? Well first you have to be aware. You have to pay attention to what you are actually thinking. Then once you identify the thoughts that are negative, which in turn are causing you to feel negative, then you create a positive affirmation to counter the negative thought. Build yourself up. Talk yourself up. Speak positive and powerful phrases to yourself. Phrases that start off with words such as, “I have” and “I am.” What you tell yourself will either build you up or tear you down. Pay attention to what you are thinking because your thoughts determine how you feel. -love, sj


Still a work in progress

No comments:

Post a Comment