About Me

My photo
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
Remembering that today is a brand new day. Another opportunity to make things better, do better and be better.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Truth About Getting What You Want



It's all fun and games and positive affirmations when you're trying to accomplish something. But how about when you actually get the gig and you’re like “Oh Sh*t!”, what do I do now? How will I have time for this and everything else on my plate? What if I don’t live up to expectations?

This is it. This is what you’ve prayed about, visualized, and spoke into existence. And now that it’s here in your lap, you’re freaking out.

Maybe I shouldn’t speak for you. You’re probably poised and capable at all times. Not a hair or a mission statement out of place. That’s okay. I see you. And one of these days I’ll be like you.

But for now, I freak out. I question myself and I worry. All the while, there’s a calm place inside of me that knows without a shadow of doubt that doors will open, growth will occur, and amazing things are ahead. I try to live from that place as much as possible and let its enduring calm reign over my thoughts and my perception of things.

While on the subject of thoughts, I haven’t achieved supreme mastery over my thoughts just yet. Wouldn’t that be lovely? I feel like I’d be a zen rock star if I had complete control over my many musings.

No mean thoughts. No bad memories resurfacing. No paranoia.

But even with my wanderlust of a mind, I do know how to redirect my thoughts when they turn disturbia. First, you can’t dwell on things that bring you down. Second, no overthinking. Finally, no player hating or cock blocking. Even the mental kind. Those things cause inertia. Inertia keeps you from getting what you really want.

We know that getting what we want can be scary, so let’s all take a moment and make a list of what we are so afraid of. Let’s call the monsters out! Having a dream fulfilled is supposed to be a triumphant moment, so what are the drawbacks (whether real or bogus) that cause us to get cold feet when opportunity knocks? I’ll go first!

I worry that…

…my children, relationship, family and friends will not receive enough attention and support from me if I’m so occupied with my career and personal projects

…I won’t have the creative capacity to keep coming up with fetching ideas, thus my work will get boring

…people won’t “get” me/won't receive me well

…my income won’t be reliable or sustainable

...as an introvert, I'll struggle with networking and other ghastly things that I don't enjoy but are necessary

...I'll quit when things get tough.

What else? Share your little thought monsters with me below. I bet they'll seem small and unreasonable when you see them written down.



by GG of Peace, Love and Pretty Things




Still a work in progress

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Excellent post.

    Hmmm, my little thought monsters {I like that}:

    - Afraid of not being as healthy as I deserve no matter my accomplishments thus far.

    - Concerned that my hair won't grow back fully in this small area of my head.

    - Concerned that I'll hit my bit toe again for the 3rd time, and totally dismantle the toe nail which would leave my right foot looking jacked up.

    - Very disappointing to be rejected by folks when all I try to do is share factual truth to help improve lives as I steadily improve mine. I don't handle rejection well in this area.

    Dawn Lynn :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn for the post. Staying away from negative thinking is key. So I will voice the following into existence:

      I know that you will be healthy and your hair will grow back in the areas that you fear it won't.

      Your big toe nail will be fine. Everything that is meant to grow back always does.

      Lastly, know that I accept you just the way that you are. Even though I haven't been in your physical presence for the last couple of years I believe in you and know that you will continue to do great and aspiring things.

      Anjah

      Delete